Happy 2014 to the ACRL/NY community! We’re bringing you this post-Symposium edition of the Newsletter to recap the 2013 ACRL/NY Symposium and highlight the themes and ideas discussed by our various speakers and panelists. In addition, our four student scholarship winners have each contributed a short essay on what the experience meant to them.
“The Library as Knowledge Laboratory,” addressed the convergence of academic libraries and digital scholarship at a moment of changing expectations and scholarly behavior in higher education. Questions of how we adapt to a culture of participation, innovation and collaboration were explored from a variety of positions and points of view. The day’s presenters provoked animated discussion on Twitter which was captured in the Twitter Archive, a visualization and explanation of which is available here.
As 2013 Symposium Planning Committee Chair I want to express my gratitude to the dedicated members of the Planning Committee who helped make the day such a success. As we begin 2014, ACRL/NY membership has elected a new Executive Board. The officers are:
- President: Anice Mills, Columbia University
- Vice-President: Linda Miles, Yeshiva University
- Immediate Past President: Carrie Netzer Wajda, Y&R
- Recording Secretary: Fiona Grady, Stony Brook University
- Membership Secretary: Werner Sbaschnik, SUNY Old Westbury
- Treasurer: Gail Delaporte
- Members at Large:
- Michael Handis, Graduate Center, CUNY
- Susanne Markgren, SUNY Purchase
- Carrie Marten, SUNY Purchase
I extend a warm welcome to the new Chair of the 2014 Symposium Planning Committee, Linda Miles.
2014 ACRL/NY President